tl;dr: barely any Mozart, no Baroque (though some might trickle through nearer to the time) but some tempting things nonetheless. Here‘s your source.
New productions 2017-18
La Vestale (Spontini) La Gheorghiu continues her work to keep the rep traditional
Julia: Angela Gheorghiu
La Boheme (Puccini)
Conductor: Antonio Pappano
Production: Richard Jones
Mimi: ? keeping the suspense
Rodolfo: Michael Fabiano
Marcello: Mariusz Kwiecien
The Queen of Spades (Tchaikovsky) – Co-Production with De Nederlandse Opera
Production: Stefan Herheim I like it, I’ll go
Der Freischutz (Weber) I don’t quite like it but I might go because how often does it come around?
Conductor: Edward Gardner
Production: Kasper Holten
Max: Jonas Kaufmann / Stuart Skelton
Semiramide (Rossini) bring it on! I might go twice
Production: David Alden
Semiramide: Joyce DiDonato
Assur: Ildebrando D’Arcangelo
Arsace: Daniela Barcellona
Katya Kabanova (Janacek) tempting
Production: Ivo van Hove
Kabanicha: Rosalind Plowright
Katya: Amanda Majeski
Lessons in Love and Violence (George Benjamin, World Premiere)
Director: Katie Mitchell
Barbara Hannigan ❤ I’ll take the chance with her
Les Vepres Siciliennes (Verdi) October – November 2017
Rachele Stanisci (Helene), two performances who’s she? I missed the Vepres the last time around, might go this time
Cavalleria Rusticana (Mascagni) / Pagliacci (Leoncavallo) Dec 2017
Nedda: Carmen Giannattasio
Silvio: Artur Rucinski
Santuzza: Elina Garanca I’d go for comparison purposes but it’s a bit soon
Tosca (Puccini) January 2018
Caravadossi: Vittorio Grigolo yes, but who is Tosca?
Lucia di Lammermor (Donizetti) November 2017? So soon?!
Lucia: Olga Peretyatko
Raimondo: Michele Pertusi
Juan Diego Flórez he doesn’t want to!
Don Giovanni (Mozart) July 2018
Donna Anna: Chen Reiss
Don Ottavio: Pavol Breslik
Andrea Chenier (Giordano) ?2018 never too soon 😉
Andrea Chenier: Jonas Kaufmann
Salome (Strauss) Yay! Hope it’s good.
Peter Grimes (Britten)
Peter Grimes: Stuart Skelton
Ellen Orford: Emma Bell
New Productions 2018-19
Königskinder (Humperdinck) 13, 17, 21, 27, December 2018, 1 January 2019
Production: David Bosch
Der Königssohn: Daniel Behle ❤
Fedora: Angela Gheorghiu
From the House of the Dead (Janacek) I’ll go
Production: Krzysztof Warlikowski
Through the Looking Glass (Unsuk Chin) World Premiere (?)
Don Pasquale (Donizetti) I really don’t see the appeal of this one
Production: Damiano Michieletto
La Forza Del Destino (Verdi) – 2019 not unless we get Harteros
Conductor: Antonio Pappano
Death in Venice (Britten) I like the story, I might go
Conductor: Mark Elder
Production: David McVicar
Der Ring des Nibelungen (Wagner)
Brunnhilde: Nina Stemme should yours truly make an effort?
Siegfried: Stefan Vinke
Siegmund: Stuart Skelton
Carmen November- December 2018
Micaela: Eleonora Buratto
Faust (Gounod) should go this time
The rumours. The ROH season is usually announced at the end of March. But who can wait? Not me. So (off that rumour list) here’s my should see listicle:
- JDD returns to ROH as Werther‘s Charlotte which I think will work well for the both of us (I tried and tried with Werther via a number of favourite mezzos and I still find it/Massenet a bore). Maybe the trick is live and with JDD.
- Lemieux in Enescu, that’s going to be interesting. I think? With Fura del Baus it’ll be a show all right.
- Angela Gheorghiu + Adriana Lecouvreur – I say yes! but er, no! to the predicted Principessa de Bouillon. I know most of you will disagree and be very happy with her… for my part I hope EG drops out so I can see the show [evil laughter]. Or I can just go see the alternative lady whom I don’t know. But she can still drop out 😉 Ladies aside, it’s also supposed to have Marcello Alvarez.
- La Damrau returns with her Lucia which I will have to see. There haven’t been enough damsels in distress lately.
- I’ve been meaning to see Sophie Koch for a good while now (just how much Strauss did I miss her in?), preferably not in Wagner, although in Tannhauser her 15min are at the beginning so it could be done 😉 must be a £10 ticket then. I can be one of those people who don’t return after the intermission…
- There’s also Mitridate, which is only mentioned as an aside in that link but it will apparently happen (heard this rumour before), to which I will of course make room left and right almost without regards to who’s in it – within reason, of course. Actually, nah, I’ll go even unreasonably 😉 If somehow Lezhneva sneaks her tail in you’ll have to pray for me, is all. Like you will have to in June with Don Giovanni, where it was recently pointed out to me that she’s going to be Zerlina. Hey, at least she’s not Donna Anna!